Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Confident or Bitch?

Why is it that a confident and assertive woman is often labeled as being a bitch? This is a question I've been pondering lately. Is it in the way she (I...let's be real, this is about me) presents herself? Or is it in the perception of those around her? A strong and extroverted personality is often intimidating to those who tend to be more soft spoken and reserved. Over the years I've tried to take less offense to those who jokingly (or not) refer to me as their favorite fun-loving bitch. I know they mean well...it's their way way of saying that I'm direct and don't have a tendency to sugar coat things.


 The problem is that there's a fine line of this being a compliment and an insult. No, I don't beat around the bush much. But I am kind, highly sensitive, and have a huge heart for pleasing people. My love language is most definitely words of affirmation. I want to feel appreciated. But I also have learned that hole will never be filled by someone else, and I shouldn't expect that of others. Especially a significant other. I don't NEED someone to tell me I'm enough. I know I am. I don't NEED someone to tell me I'm worth it. I believe I am. 


So is it the awareness that I am confident in myself and my abilities that seems to make it ok to label that as bitchy? My goal is to focus on what it is I think people are really trying to say...that they see a confident woman who isn't afraid to express her opinions, ideas, and emotions. If bitch is the term folks wanna use then I'm gonna take it and make it my own. 



No comments:

Post a Comment